My St Enoch Square Motion Tracking pieces remain one of the biggest projects I’ve worked on, and I’m really pleased that an updated version has now been used in the video for Royal Wood’s The Glory, directed by Adam Makarenko.
You can see the effect in action around the 2:35 mark.
Adam contacted me a few months ago about using the program, and I made some updates to it, adding things like a functioning interface(!) and support for different image sizes(!!). I also refactored the Voronoi/Delaunay code to use ToxicLibs which made it much more stable, and updating it for Processing 2.0 made a big increase in speed. I’m hoping to have an opportunity to develop it further at some point- using shaders for some if the image processing should make it faster- and a proper file loader and preset system would make it much more useable.
It’s really great to see what someone with a bit more artistic vision can do with tools that you’ve made, so thanks to Adam for the opportunity and the great work.
Well, the end of year show has come and gone, and all that remains is the write up. Here’s a quick run down of the work that I showed and some of the development that went into it. I’ll also show the code I
cobbled together from other peoples’ code wrote to do it. If you’ve not seen it already, you might want to take a look at the first and second posts that show the earlier stages. Done? Onwards!
I shot some updated footage at the right resolution for my St Enoch project from two different points of view. In retrospect, shooting at 1920×1080 was probably excessive for my needs, and can cause extra problems (e.g. I don’t have a big enough monitor, resizing stuff on the fly in Processing is non-trivial, and it takes longer to process), so the results here are 1280×720. The ultimate goal is to make some large (A1-ish) prints which will probably be from PDFs anyway.
Here’s another approach to isolating movement in video- using slit-scanning. The code for this was a quick adaptation from the Processing slit-scan example with a couple of alterations and a little variation. Without further ado…
As part of the final unit on my course, we’ve been given a general brief to create a piece based on or in St Enoch Square, one of the larger public spaces in the centre of Glasgow. I have decided to focus on the movement of people through the square, and see if I can create some sort of “data-driven” piece using Processing.
Here is a video showing some of the development work I’ve been doing, using some footage from a previous project.
This sketch was inspired by a combination of things: the particle systems chapter draft from Dan Shiffman’s forthcoming Nature Of Code book influenced the additive blending aesthetic, while I got the idea of a three dimensional “colour space” from this talk from Mario Klingemann.
All that’s really going on here is the RGB/HSB values of each pixel of an image are mapped to XYZ coordinates, while the camera rotates round the centre point. Changing the mode from RGB to HSB creates a different shape from the same collection of pixels, while the low opacity and OpenGL blending create a nice glowing effect. It’s interesting to see the connections between shades in an image- almost always a continuous spectrum without large gaps.
Hello, and a somewhat belated happy new year! I hope 2011 has been good to you so far. I’ve been pretty busy both with official college work and personal projects, and it’s the latter I want to show today. I put together a wee compilation of some of the sketches I’ve put together recently as a “showreel” of sorts (with one eye on interviewing for university in the immediate future). Some of these aren’t really suitable for web deployment, and doing it as video lets me crank up the detail and quality. It also gives me the opportunity to make some metal to go behind it.
Following on from my recent Nine Images post, here’s a video equivalent. I spent a lot of time thinking up obscure ways to link the nine words (ambiguity, ephemeral, loop, serendipity, utopia, crash, condition, diaphanous, and sequential) with short videos. In the end I decided to be pretty literal with my interpretation of the words and instead to make the presentation of the videos more interesting by combining them into one visual assault.